Wednesday, November 25, 2009

War and Peace: Days the first.

Sorry for the disappearance, guys. I'm currently visiting my parents for T-giving, and... well, it doesn't matter. Let's just say that life reared its nasty little head. I have been reading, not as much as I'd like, but I did finish a book (more on that when I get back and can actually have the book in front of me.) and I'm working on the Huge Ponderous Russian Tome.

My first thoughts about War and Peace are actually quite simple. What the heck? The book starts in the middle of things, at a salon in Russia, where half of the dialogue is in French with English footnotes, and people are talking about everything from the usual 'who's marrying who' to what's going to with Bonaparte and France.

Just like Anna, Tolstoy seems to love bouncing back and forth between people, situations, and times. He introduces both major and minor characters with the same brush, sometimes even making minor characters seem more important than they turn out to be, such as the woman running the salon in the first few chapters. This even got so bad that at one point, I needed to turn back and re-check out who one of the characters was.

I'm still giving it a chance, but I'm thinking that I'm not going to like it as much as Anna. I guess we'll see.

Days: 355
Books: 98 (I did finish one, really! Just... it'll be written about later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment