Monday, November 16, 2009

Tolstoy and The Ponderous Russian Tome

I've never been one to shrink from a challenge, and as I am currently jobless, I've decided to take on two of the thickest and longest books on the list: Anna Karenina and War and Peace.

After scanning a few of the copies from different translators, I was pleased to find the library had a copy of each from the same pair of translators. Win!

So, let's start, shall we?

Anna Karenina and what is said by most to be the biggest doorstop book ever, War and Peace were written in Tzarist Russia (1860s-1870s) by Count Leo Tolstoy. Said Tolstoy was a reluctant academic and solider, preferring to spend most of his life running his family farm with a wife and a number of kids.

Both of these books have made their way into popular culture, Anna Karenina with numerous film, musical, and ballet adaptations, and War and Peace mostly because of its length. However, as familiar as the names of both of these books are, how many people actually know what they're about? I certainly don't hear much discussion about exactly what's going on in War and Peace on the street. Karenina I know slightly more about, but again, not much.

Let's have an adventure, shall we? Off to the land of the Ponderous Russian Tomes!


Days left: 364
Books left: 100

5 comments:

  1. My sister actually read both of those this summer--well, I don't know if she actually FINISHED War and Peace, but she did start. I'm excited to hear about what you think of Anna Karenina, because I got all these little updates on the book as she was reading it and it sounds weiiird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO GO GADGET QUINN.
    I don't know why everything is Gadget lately, but it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently I could listen to an audiobook of war and peace in the amount of time I spend stuck in traffic every year:

    http://awesome.good.is/transparency/012/trans012delays.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. *hugs* Oh, the Doorstop, how I remember thee... not entirely too well, actually. But best of luck big sister!

    ReplyDelete